Thank you for considering Gem Lake! You will absolutely love this custom log cabin. Located on its’ own lake in the middle of an eighty-acre woods parcel and surrounded by Superior National Forest and Nature Conservatory land with lots of private hiking/ski trails. Three season drive-in access with private parking for ski/shoe winter access where we’ll meet and bring you and your gear to the cabin. The cabin is heated by a wood burning stove and has solar generated lighting, supplemented by a propane heater and gas lights. Excellent cell service so while there is no wi-fi, you can count on smart phone and/or personal hotspot access to stay connected. And while there is a traditional Finnish sauna and outhouse, the cabin also has a bathroom with a shower. Attached is a “Recommended Packing List” to help you evaluate whether this is the right cabin for you.
Here are some other details to help you plan your visit:
- Your safety is our number one priority and we invite you to review our Coronavirus & Healthy Environment Strategy.
- The cabin is equipped with all the cooking, living and eating utensils you should need, including wineglasses, corkscrew, bakeware, dish linens, dish and bathing soap, matches, salt and pepper, garbage bags, toilet paper, mattresses and pillows, coffee percolator, gas stove/oven and an outside grill. Note: charcoal, coffee, bedding, pillowcases, bath towels and paper towels are not
- There is one queen-sized bed and two full-futons and, plenty of space for three cots which we’ll provide as appropriate. .
- Cooking/Washing. The cabin has a gas stove/oven with four burners, a wood burning stove for heat (wood supplied), fire extinguisher, small refrigerator with small freezer, gas and solar lights and drinking and cooking water supplied by a natural spring located on the property.
- The cabin has games including cards, Yahtzee, cribbage, and puzzles in addition to a small library of books.
- Fishing licenses and bait are available all over town at outfitters and bait shops, gas stations, hardware stores, etc.
- An 18’ canoe with life vests and paddles comes with your stay. Additional canoes with gear are available for $30/day for a lightweight aluminum two-person, $40/day for a two-person or $45 for a three-person Kevlar canoe.
- We allow pets, and charge $10/day per pet. .
- All fireworks are prohibited. Firearms to be used in hunting game require our advanced permission, in addition to appropriate licensing.
- This is a non-smoking cabin. If you choose to smoke outside, please collect and carry out all cigarette butts.
- There is an outdoor fire pit/grill –be aware of fire bans; we will let you know upon your arrival. You will need to collect firewood for the firepit (firewood for the woodburning stoves is provided).
- Check-In is 2:00 pm at the designated parking area (cabin spring-summer-fall; parking lot in the winter). Check-out is between 9:00-10:00 am @ the cabin. We will confirm timing with you upon your arrival.
- A 20% deposit is required to fully secure cabin rentals.
Thank you for considering Log Cabin Hideaways for your wilderness adventure. Please call or write with any questions. We want your trip here to be the best possible and are looking forward to meeting you!
Dean & Cecilia
Recommended Packing List
- We supply salt & pepper, dishware, cookware, silverware and a traditional percolator. Bring along everything else, e.g. creamer, sugar, hot sauce, syrup, coffee.
- The water is delicious! Bring along anything else you’d like to drink, e.g. coffee, water/soda plastic bottles. Coffee is not provided.
- Supplies and Clothing. We supply pillows, shampoo/bath and dish soap, a first aid kit, garbage bags, dish linens, cooking/eating utensils and two small throws. Here’s what you need to bring:
- Bedding — pillow cases and sleeping bags or sheets/blankets (there is one queen bed and two full futons)
- Paper plates if you’d prefer to minimize dish washing
- Bath towels
- Paper towels
- Bug spray¾it is buggy, especially June-July! We recommend Repel 100 Insect Repellent.
- Mosquito Head net for those with low tolerance¾we recommend this one.
- Charcoal if you’d like to grill
- Sunscreen (regardless of season)
- Thermal underwear!
- Rain or snow/ ski gear include snowshoes which are highly recommended.
- Hiking, water and/or snow boots.
- A ‘buff’ or two, regardless of season. We recommend light colors – here are some options.
- Long pants and hoodies when walking through the woods for May – July (recommend light colors)
- A head lamp or flashlight for each person to navigate to the sauna, fire pit and outhouse (or for night-time snow shoeing/adventures).
- Tupperware/storage bags and/or aluminum foil or plastic wrap
|Shop Ely for your fishing, tackle, outdoor gear, dining, groceries, and drinks. Most Ely establishments invite you to call ahead for credit card, convenient curbside pick-up orders for your convenience and safety. Here are a few to get you started:
Arrowhead Outdoors (218) 365-5358 * 1810 E. Sheridan St *they have bait!
Piragis Northwoods (218) 365-6745 * 105 N Central Ave *maps, gear, clothing, ski/snowshoe rental
Northland Market (218) 365-3216 * 1230 E Sheridan St
Lakeshore Liquor (218) 365-4011 * 438 E Sheridan St (open Sundays)
Mike’s Liquor (218) 365-5087 * 401 E Sheridan St (closed Sundays)
Ely Bike & Kicksled (218) 365-2453 * 125 North Central Avenue *mountain & fat tire bikes and kick sled rental
Restaurants are open for pick up, here are a few popular ones:
Boathouse & Pub 218-365-4301
Ely Steakhouse 218-365-7412 *opening for take-out Mid-May
Gator’s Grilled Cheese Emporium 218-365-7348
Sir G’s Italian 218-365-3688
Subway, Dairy Queen & Log Cabin Coffee are also open for quick pick-ups! On behalf of Ely township, know that all businesses absolutely appreciate your business!
- Avoid glass bottles/ware. Many things that are not typically available in a box or a plastic bottle are available in Ely, e.g. wine in a box, beer in a plastic bottle/can.
- Pack your goggles/sunglasses for the winter visit to protect your eyes from wind/snow/branches on the way to/from the parking lot.
- Running late on your arrival day? Call us on our land line at 218-365-4254 at least two hours prior to our scheduled time if you run into delays. While we will provide you a cell number as well, it is important to leverage both as texts/calls sometimes are delayed.